A Brief Parish History
It was British policy in the 18th century to support every colony with the establishment of a Church of England. The government agency responsible for this policy was called The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts or more commonly, the SPG.
The story of All Saints Anglican Church begins when Rev. Dr. Samuel Cooke is sent by the SPG to Saint John, NB in 1785. Within a year of his arrival Rev. Cooke visits St. Andrews describing the Town as, “…a regularly laid out town of 200 houses with a good safe harbour and fine country around it”.
With financial support from the SPG, the Church of St. Andrews was constructed on Church Lane in the Town of St. Andrews.
In 1788 the Church opened its doors to all denominations as a place of worship. The first resident clergyman, Rev. Samuel Andrews, served the community between 1786 and 1818. By 1821 with the support of Rev. Cooke, the Church of St. Andrews vestry acquired 1,591.5 acres of glebe land of which 57.75 acres were town lots.
Although the Presbyterians withdrew in 1819, the Church continued to serve the broad Christian community until 1826. The SPG replacement for Rev. Andrews was one Dr. Jerome Alley who served the Parish from 1819 until 1858. During his 39 year tenure, the Church of St. Andrews was reconsecrated All Saints Church in 1826. Additionally, Dr. Alley was responsible for the construction of the Chapel of Ease of Saint John the Baptist in Chamcook, N.B.
The Chapel was consecrated by Bishop Medley of Fredericton July 16, 1846 and continues to serve the Parish to this day. By the end of Dr. Alley’s ministry in 1858 the SPG was withdrawing grants from foreign parts and with this came great change and independence for The Church of St. Andrew now All Saints Church on King Street, Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada at the mouth of the Bay of Fundy.